Sunday, February 20, 2011

Catch up time!

Woah! Sorry it has taken me so long to get on here and share some more about my experience here in Jerusalem. It has been so amazing and jam packed with goodness that I can't seem to find a moment to write about it!
Well, I haven't written about Egypt yet. We happened to be in Egypt during the start of political riots. We were well protected and avoided all danger. We missed out on the Cairo Museum which I am a little disappointed in but our professors worked out a trip to the Bent and Red Pyramids along with the Valley Temple. There usually isn't much time for these sites, but since it was in a safe area our semester had an opportunity to experience it. I crossed many things of my bucket list such as seeing the pyramids, going inside a pyramid, riding a camel (So pleasant by the way! We went on an hour ride around sunset! So beautiful! Plus my camel driver kept letting me know that I was beautiful. Self esteem boost + Sunset on the Nile = Lots of smiles!!) going down the Nile in a sailboat, walking through the Karnak Temple (the most incredible structure I have ever seen!) but the climax of the entire trip was  hiking Mount Sinai. So I am going to take to time to try to explain what I learned and what I felt then. To begin I have to go back to the night before we hiked. After dinner that night we gathered with professor Mulehstein under the stars, it was such an incredibly clear sky. As we did so we discussed Moses 1. He taught something that will always stick with me. He pointed out that when Moses asked God both how and why he created mankind, God showed him somethign before He answered the question. He showed him all His other creations. All the worlds without number. And then He said "My work and my glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." There are two things that can be learned from this. One is that God is so powerful, yet He spends His time and energy on trying to bring us eternal life. And another is that why we are striving to be worthy to live in the presence of God one day we will need God's help to remain clean. We will make mistakes and we have so many imperfections, but if God can create worlds without number He can take a silly girl like me and help me really become something. The children of Israel often provoked God and the reasons He was angry with His children were because they didn't have the faith that God could do it. Whether it was lack of food, or water. The most tremendous case is when God invited the children of Israel to come up to Mount Sinai and meet God. They refused the offer because they feared that God would not be able to protect them from the power of His presence. How many times do all of us refuse a chance to come closer to our Heavenly Father because we fear that God can not remove our sins, thinking we are too far gone? Our Father in Heaven can and will if we come to Him with a sincere desire to change.
The next morning at 2 am we all woke up and got on the bus to the foot of the mountain. Then we began the hike. I kept stumbling along the path because I couldn't help, but stare at the stars every once in awhile. They shown SO bright. And I thought about what we had been taught the night before. If God has the power to create all this He has the power to take someone as foolish as me and help me be like Him. He has given me the tools to do so if I follow His words and His prophets and listen to the Spirit with a trusting heart. At the top of the mountain the wind was blowing hard! And it was cold since the sun was just barely beginning to peak over the horizon. I looked around and saw all the people I love here. We crowded together to keep each other warm and sang hymn after hymn. Isn't that what we should do for each other each and every day. When the outside weather was rough we wrapped our arms around each other and reminded each other what life is all about through words we sang. When the outside world pounds on each one of us at one time or another I hope that we can all gather around that individual and share words and deeds that will uplift.
Once we watched the sun rise the two Old Testament classes separated and walked to areas that were somewhat protected by the wind and warmed by the sun. We sat together as our professors taught us. Professor Muhlestein taught many things but there is one thing he said that I will never forget. As he discussed all those who saw or heard God on this beautiful mountain he said, "God will 'show' Himself in your lives as well, take the time to recognize it." As I sat and pondered how God had shown Himself in my life I was overwhelmed with all the miracles and love I have in my life. God is truely there and He loves me. I do not doubt that. He has had His loving hand in my life time and time again.
Well I finally finished this entry and now there is so much more I want to share! Sadly, it is going to have to wait awhile.  Shalom!

1 comment:

  1. Susie, I am so glad that I was finally able to hear how you were doing. I was a little worried for awhile. I am glad that you are doing so well and enjoyed your trip to Egypt. Hope you have a great day and I am excited about hearing more of your trip.

    Braden Dennis

    ReplyDelete